Naturally, I found out about this reading challenge from Kristilyn over at Reading in Winter. Amanda from On a Book Bender and Kelly from Reading the Paranormal are hosting this series reading challenge for 2013 and it sounds like fun!
How It Works
To allow for the greatest level of flexibility, we’ve separated series into three categories: series started before 2013, series started in 2013, and series rereads. Series started before 2013 are defined as series that you have started reading before Jan. 2013 and that you still have unread books to get current in (or finish) the series. Series started in 2013 are defined as any series that you start reading between Jan. and Dec. 2013, and the second book in the series must be published before December 2013. A series reread is defined as books that are part of a series that were read before Jan. 2013 and that are reread between Jan. 2013 and Dec. 2013. A series reread does NOT have to include the full series.
For each category, there are different levels of seriousness about series that you can choose. Semi-serious is reading 1 to 6 series, seriously serious is reading 7 to 12 series, super seriously serious is reading 13 to 18 series, and seriously spectacular series star is reading more than 18 series. What this ends up looking like is this:
series started before 2013 series started in 2013 series rereads Semi-Serious 1-6 series 1-6 1-6 Seriously Serious 7-12 7-12 7-12 Super Seriously Serious 13-18 13-18 13-18 Seriously Spectacular Series Star 18+ 18+ 18+
You choose which categories you want to attempt and which level to shoot for. Reading novellas and short stories from a series does count here.
My Goals for this Challenge
As of now, these are the series in my queue. I don’t own all of these books, but my sister has many of them, as does my local library. I’m going to consider a series complete when I finish reading all of the books available in the series (as long as I can afford it). Also, I don’t consider it cheating that half of these are just series I plan to continue reading as the books come out in 2013. :P Here goes!
Series started before 2013: Seriously Serious
This includes 12 total series and 15 total books, and dear lord, it is probably likely to increase as the year goes on!
- The Forest of Hands and Teeth, by Carrie Ryan (The Dark and Hollow Places)
- Across the Universe, by Beth Revis (A Million Suns, Shades of Earth)
- House of Night, by P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast (Hidden)
- The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan (The Gathering Storm, The Towers of Midnight, A Memory of Light)
- Under the Never Sky, by Veronica Rossi (Through the Ever Night)
- Shatter Me, by Tahereh Mafi (Unravel Me)
- Divergent, by Veronica Roth (Untitled book #3)
- The Grisha, by Leigh Bardugo (Siege and Storm)
- Something Strange and Deadly, by Susan Dennard (A Darkness Strange and Lovely)
- False Memory, by Dan Krokos (False Sight)
- Delirium, by Lauren Oliver (Requiem)
- Insignia, by S. J. Kincaid (Vortex)
Series started in 2013: Semi-Serious
So far I’ve only got 3 series on this list, but it includes 8 total books. I’m sure this will also increase throughout the year.
- Wolves of Mercy Falls, by Maggie Stiefvater (Shiver, Linger, Forever)
- The Hybrid Chronicles, by Kat Zhang (What’s Left of Me, Untitled book #2)
- Lumatere Chronicles, by Melina Marchetta (Finnikin of the Rock, Froi of the Exiles, Quintana of Charyn)
Okay, so this challenge has lined up 23 books in my queue for 2013. Luckily, all of these can count toward the series squares on the 2013 Book Bingo Reading Challenge, and many of them can also count toward some of the other squares. Whew. Lots o’ books in 2013!