For Author Appreciation August, I’d like to take a moment to celebrate one of my favorite authors: Laini Taylor.
Laini Taylor is the author of Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, the Dreamdark books (Blackbringer and Silksinger), and the National Book Award finalist Lips Touch: Three Times. In addition to writing young adult books, she’s also a visual artist, with a line of pretty greeting cards called Laini’s Ladies. She lives in Portland, Oregon with her illustrator husband, Jim DiBartolo, and their daughter named Clementine. She is also super awesome because she has the pinkest hair of all.
I was first introduced to this author when I received a booklet containing the first few chapters of Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Upon reading the first sentence of that booklet, I became enthralled with her writing. Since then, I’ve read every word written by Taylor that I could find! What makes Laini Taylor and her writing so special?
Laini Taylor’s books are amazing because:
- Her words flow in such a delicate, lyrical way that sends frissons of delight through my heart.
- Her characters are so vivid, so full of life, and so relatable that I feel like each one of them is my good friend.
- Her stories are full of magic and wonder, mystery and delight, scary things and curious things!
- She has the ability to make her worlds come alive so thoroughly, so craftily, that I just want to LIVE in them. No other author has made me feel this way so completely!
- Most of them are also illustrated by her talented husband! I love, love, love books with extra art inside!
Laini Taylor is also awesome because:
- She’s an artist and thus posts about cool art things on twitter.
- She has the most amazing PINK HAIR you’ve ever seen!
- Well, because she writes BOOKS that I LOVE, you see! Okay, maybe this isn’t an “also”, but I’m still keeping this bullet point here because it’s deserved.
So, if you haven’t read any of her books yet — what are you waiting for?
More of Laini Taylor: Official website | Goodreads | Twitter
I’ve only heard the most AMAZING things about Laini Taylor and her books and whilst I haven’t yet read any of her work yet, I PROMISE I’ll get onto it super soon! First stop: Daughter of Smoke and Bone! It’s so nice to see you appreciating a favourite author of yours and seeing author/book love being spread, Sarah (who is a massive fan of Laini) and I thank you for taking the time to put together this brilliant post! :)
Oh goodness, I WORSHIP Laini. I kid you not. I read Daughter of Smoke and Bone earlier this, and I can’t remember the last time a book just… captivated me so entirely. Her writing is exquisite. Thank you thank you THANK YOU for writing this pist! ♥